#1 2014-04-14 04:09:10

edwinsn

How about restrict embarcadero to use/distribute the soure code?

To ab, mpv and other code contributors,

In the great Delphi chromium embedded  project, the author Henri has a license clause says:

* Embarcadero Technologies, Inc is not permitted to use or redistribute
* this source code without explicit permission.

Henri did that for good reasons, and I remember he had a blog post explaining that (couldn't find it now though).

The concern is, after a third-party library  (be it commercial or open source) becoming a part of the RTL/VCL, no external enhancement is possible. Remember what happened to that open source PNG library? And Bold?

I'm suggesting this because I think there are a lot of gems in this framework (thank you guys!), The spidermonkey wrapper, the BSON implementation, the mongoDB interface, the PDF writer, etc, all are great pieces of software, and especially, ab focuses on **performance**!.

Just my two cents.

Last edited by edwinsn (2014-04-14 12:03:58)

Delphi XE4 Pro on Windows 7 64bit.
Lazarus trunk built with fpcupdelux on Windows with cross-compile for Linux 64bit.

#2 2014-04-19 07:01:16

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: How about restrict embarcadero to use/distribute the soure code?

Embarcadero does have a very precise licensing policy.
They would never incorporate any third-party code without explicit contract with the owner.
Marco takes much care about it.

So IMHO such a license clause in our own licence is superfluous.

There is no risk of EMB blocking the development of our classes.

In fact, there is some part of mORMot code in EMB libraries, I mean I discovered some code I wrote in the AnyDAC/FireDAC SQLite3 wrapper: the static linking explicitly use some code I wrote...
They just deleted the comments...
See uADPhysStatic.pas and compare with SynSQLite3Static.pas...
This is an obvious license break!
I may sue EMB for some lines of code... (and perhaps I should)... But I have something more constructive to do!
smile

#3 2014-04-19 07:30:05

edwinsn

Re: How about restrict embarcadero to use/distribute the soure code?

ab, it's very kind of you! And this kind of "integration" of 3rd party code is OK - not in terms of legal concerns, I mean at least it not affect the mormot development.

ab wrote:

Embarcadero does have a very precise licensing policy.
They would never incorporate any third-party code without explicit contract with the owner.
Marco takes much care about it.

So IMHO such a license clause in our own licence is superfluous.

There is no risk of EMB blocking the development of our classes.

In fact, there is some part of mORMot code in EMB libraries, I mean I discovered some code I wrote in the AnyDAC/FireDAC SQLite3 wrapper: the static linking explicitly use some code I wrote...
They just deleted the comments...
See uADPhysStatic.pas and compare with SynSQLite3Static.pas...
This is an obvious license break!
I may sue EMB for some lines of code... (and perhaps I should)... But I have something more constructive to do!
smile

Delphi XE4 Pro on Windows 7 64bit.
Lazarus trunk built with fpcupdelux on Windows with cross-compile for Linux 64bit.

Board footer