#1 2014-04-13 20:18:37

mpv
Website

Load testing tool

Here we continue discussion about load testing tool started in spider monkey topic .
The main purpose is to found tool able to test mORMot, not the tool itself. Since mORMot is really fast  it is not easy task smile
The second - tool must be well known. @AB use mORMot client to test mORMot server, but it is hard to explain to other what really happen inside testing tool.

For example let's test sample "22 - JavaScript HTTPApi web server" using URL http://host:888/root/readme.md
If we use M$ Visual Studio build-in load testing framework we can simulate 250 user load. While testing most of processor time take .NET, not mORMot. So in this case we test M$..
If we take openwebload as edwinsn do here we have another occasion - this is single thread tool. Mulithead mORMOt server able to generate generate response  faster than single thread  openwebload generate requests.

Under Windows we do not found good tool. May be someone know, please, write here - we will be happy smile
The best we found is Apache Bench - you can extract it from any Apache installation. Under windows exist limitation - it can test only localhost. So during test one CPU core is working on AB.exe process.

Under *unix exist really awesome tool wrk - multithread, VERY fast, support LUA scripting. Not work under Windows (internally use *nix analog of IOCP not compatible with Win*).

So at this time my choice for test load is:
FreeBSD + wrk  <-----> low latency 1Gb network <------> my laptop.
Any other configuration test not mORMot, but tool or network bandwidth..

If instead of "my laptop" I put "dual Xenon server" network is a bottleneck.

Last edited by mpv (2014-04-13 20:29:48)

#2 2014-04-14 03:42:28

edwinsn

Re: Load testing tool

Thanks for the write up,  mpv. An Apache installation seems to be cumbersome to me, I might just fire up A Linux VM and ru wrk there.

Actually, at the moment, I'm mostly interested in the SpiderMonkey wrapper, not the mORMot framewok (need not to say, it's excellent!), so I guess the single process openwebload is enough for me to compare the performance between SpiderMonkey versions. It's just me smile

Delphi XE4 Pro on Windows 7 64bit.
Lazarus trunk built with fpcupdelux on Windows with cross-compile for Linux 64bit.

#3 2014-04-19 06:51:26

ab
Administrator
Website

I'm currently working on the code mpv sent me.
The supplied regression tests are to be adapted to the new layer.
I will release the source on Sunday, I suppose.

Stay tuned!

#4 2014-04-19 07:36:48

edwinsn

I'm staying tuned!

ab wrote:

I'm currently working on the code mpv sent me.
The supplied regression tests are to be adapted to the new layer.
I will release the source on Sunday, I suppose.

Stay tuned!

Delphi XE4 Pro on Windows 7 64bit.
Lazarus trunk built with fpcupdelux on Windows with cross-compile for Linux 64bit.

Board footer