#1 2014-06-25 13:43:18

Celery

Using different printer driver ?

Hi!

I use TGDIPages to create a report and then export it to a PDF-file.

I noticed that papersize and font depends on default printer in Windows. Papersize I found that I could change by calling NewPageLayout(psa4), but I don't know how to affect the font used ? Maybe it's not the font, but "font-scaling" that's the problem. Anyway, the text looks different, and don't appear at the same place, if the default driver is "Generic/Text Only" compared to when another driver is chosen.
I thought I could set the property PrinterName to a desired printer, but realized it was a readonly property. I guess there's a reason for it ?

Which is the best way to solve this ?

Best regards.

#2 2014-06-25 20:04:01

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: Using different printer driver ?

I guess you can change Printers.Printer.PrinterIndex before creating the report to change the reference printer.

Or just try to set ForceScreenResolution property to true.

#3 2014-06-26 13:56:40

Celery

Thanks you! Setting Printers.Printer.PrinterIndex helps. smile
When having ForceScreenResolution to true it didn't look good.

I considered converting the application to use TPdfDocument or TPdfDocumentGDI instead of TGDIPages. Would they also require setting PrinterIndex ?

#4 2014-06-26 14:03:30

ab
Administrator
Website

TPdfDocument or TPdfDocumentGDI do not know anything about printers: they produce just some pdf using TPDFCanvas or TMetaFileCanvas methods.
AFAIK the only place when the printer is used is for complex matrix scaling (lometric/himetric/isotropic...) which should be seldom used.

The TPdfDocumentGDI is much to be preferred to TPdfDocument, since its VCLCanvas (to be used with VCLCanvasSize for coordinates computation) is a true VCL TCanvas, so you can share code with your UI.
But TGdiPages is much more convenient to write text reports with tables and pictures.

Board footer