#1 2013-04-24 19:08:45

cjb

newbie question: web portal application

We have been monitoring your project and are quite impress with it.  Reading the framework and the forum and from the questions asked I'm not certain if we should consider it for one of our projects? 

In particular we have an existing Delphi application with a database containing various client information.  We are at a point where we need to offer access to this information directly to our clients via a web browser. 

We are considering building a web portal using your framework, from which users could connect to their information and review and update their information.

Currently all of this is done via a multi-user desktop system.  Having the ability for clients to directly update their data instead of via the customer support line seems like a good application for a web based interface to a web service type server.  MORMot seems like a possible fit.  My questions are:

1) from the forum I'm not certain if all the pieces needed are in the framework yet?  In particular we see the client side being HTML5/CCS3/Json/Ajax type web browser solution with the server using your framework but acting like a web server for the clients. Is the framework currently able to do this or do we need IIS?

2) From the client browser perspective, what is the best method for creating the web pages to be used by the system.  Can the framework create and serve dynamic web pages or do we need to create static/ajax type web pages that connect to the web service?  and if so can you point us to examples on how to do this easily?

3) What tool (RAD?) do you suggest to build these web pages and Json connectors with?  The server side seems simpler but maybe you can suggest an approach that works better in a situation like ours?

Essentially what I'm trying to determine is; can this be done easily or are we better off to build such a solution using for example ASP.net MVC?

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

CJB

#2 2013-04-25 13:55:55

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: newbie question: web portal application

1) Yes You Can do AJAX with mORMot - see http://blog.synopse.info/tag/AJAX and sample 18 in source code repository.
You do not need IIS, since mORMot server has everything built-in.

2) A method-based service is the best way of returning any content to the server.

3) There is no RAD approach in mORMot.

But you can mix data/services in mORMot with any HTML/AJAX backend, since we support CORS: you can put the html5 content in one server, then retrieve the JSON content from a mORMot server.

Board footer