#1 2017-03-22 11:28:48

tdanop

Migration of an old fat client/server application to mormot framework

Hi forum,

I have an old C/S CRM application (delphi7 90's) with one data module, SQL server as a DB Server, ADO as provider, ClientDatasets, about 30 forms and grids, a lot of RAD data aware components and a Report Builder (Digital Metaphor) engine as a reporting system.

My goal for start is just to replace the old fashion C/S with mormot keeping all these components and the rich Delphi client as possible as it is now.

After the migration I wish to start develop an extra web interface keeping the rich Delphi client to work as usually works.

I have read the documentation,  excellent document by the way,  but I cannot find an easy path through the chapters and samples to do it.

If someone has a success case story in similar migration it could be very helpful to give me at least a starting point.

Thank you,

#2 2017-03-22 13:20:39

cybexr

Re: Migration of an old fat client/server application to mormot framework

Sample 17 & SAD-document 8.1.10 chapter may helpful.

#3 2017-04-04 13:44:48

leus

Yeah, no, that's not useful when you want to migrate an existing application.

I think the missing piece for more adoption of mORMot is a comprehensive articles series (or even a book) on migrating an old-style data-aware and datamodule based application to mORMot: tips, best practices, strategy, etc.

Right now, it's an all-or-nothing proposal which is not an option for large, established codebases.

I've seen, for example, that the Fish Facts demo was indeed ported to mORMot:

https://synopse.info/forum/viewtopic.php?id=1236

But to me, this is a missing opportunity. What about converting the actual Fish Facts demo (or something very similar to it) to mORMot, in-place, and documenting each step in a github repository? That would be excellent.

(I know, I know, I'm asking for free stuff. This is just an idea.)

#4 2017-04-04 17:23:31

igors233

> I think the missing piece for more adoption of mORMot is a comprehensive articles series (or even a book)

Take a look at mORMot and Elevate Web Builder by Erick Engelke, it's not exactly what you need but it could help out when starting with mORMot and if you decide to use EWB for web client.

> on migrating an old-style
> data-aware and datamodule based application to mORMot: tips, best practices, strategy, etc.

Adapting mORMot will take a lot of time, I guess everyone goes through similiar problems and issues, only advice I can offer is start with simpler things like JSON/object serialization, TDocVariantData and general util classes from SynCommons. Later for building web interface to your legacy DB/app you can add server and for client go with SMS/EWB or uniGui.

Board footer