#1 2012-03-01 09:40:48

remixtech

Comparison between commercial apps

Hello,

I know it's not a highly technical information but I need some advises hmm
I am building an application which needs managing data (with a database). Until now, i have used a commercial app without sources (DISQLITE3) I Know working without sources isn't great and now I have problems.
So I would like to know if I could replace it with mORMot framework.

The most important stuff I need is thread safety (I looked in the documentation, it's okay and it seems really easy to use) and encryption for security reason.

So in comparison of DISQLite 3 (http://www.yunqa.de/delphi/doku.php/pro … ture_chart). Is there advantages, disadvantages ?

Thanks a lot,
Kind regards from France !

#2 2012-03-01 09:47:58

Leander007

Re: Comparison between commercial apps

Hello, see this post.

Major drawback (for you) can be absence of TDataSet approach, which is available in DISLite3 product.
mORMot is much larger "beast" but with totally different approaches which is best for building huge and "difficult" (SOA) applications (which in turn have long development cycle anyway).

Last edited by Leander007 (2012-03-01 09:57:42)

"Uncertainty in science: There no doubt exist natural laws, but once this fine reason of ours was corrupted, it corrupted everything.", Blaise Pascal

#3 2012-03-01 09:54:02

Leander007

By the way, DISQLite3 could be bought with sources too, price is 299.99 €.
This can be too much for hobbyist, but if you are in commercial world and your existing application heavily relay on DISQLite3 is worth buying it with sources. 

Just my opinion smile.

Last edited by Leander007 (2012-03-01 09:55:40)

"Uncertainty in science: There no doubt exist natural laws, but once this fine reason of ours was corrupted, it corrupted everything.", Blaise Pascal

#4 2012-03-01 10:06:17

remixtech

Clearly you are right for the sources smile... This is a major mistake i made. (Not too important, i'am a hobbyst and don't know if I will do shareware, freeware or opensource).

I don't use TDataset, i prefer working without it and don't rely on drag drop components hmm (i'am more confident with lines of code)
I will take some times to study seriously the source code, it will be a great exercise and if you assure me mORmot is more professional so....

Let's go.

Thanks for responding fast.
Kind regards from France !

#5 2012-03-01 10:08:04

remixtech

Another thing : I hate writing SQL strings with DISQLITE 3. To hard to read, to hard to correct.

#6 2012-03-01 10:28:06

Leander007

If you like to be in control then mORMot is surely for you and if you wish to learn "some tricks" then you are again on the right road smile.
I'm too just "an user" (I contribute for now only found bugs or corrections of bugs) of this framework and is really nice when you have a need for SOA approach, but not very good at GUI (VCL) part.
I made my own "smart grid", which has been project for itself, so it is not really good think if you are in hurry (learning this framework through commercial project), you will burn yourself, I'm almost 99.999% sure smile.
But if you have time to learn, don't hesitate with mORMot.
Project is more or less stabile, but because it's evolving "beast" new bugs could be introduced, that is logical.

My personal project does not use encryption, so I can't tell you about that.
But I'm heavily using threads, COM ports, mORMot ORM part (strong typed objects) and table part (TSQLTable), named pipes, i18n, compression, windows services, reporting (PDF)...

...and it works very well. If I find the bug I try to correct and report it, or at least report it.
At first I found a lot smaller bugs, but now product is more stabile and bugs are not any more so common (at least in core part).
In commercial projects when I find some version of mORMot stabile I stick with it (if I don't need new features of course) and testing new checkins only on "test polygon".

Last edited by Leander007 (2012-03-01 10:35:43)

#7 2012-03-01 10:43:51

remixtech

I'am not hurry I'am Physicist and soon teacher so I don't need it to eat wink

Thanks for your time

#8 2012-03-01 10:48:33

Leander007

You're welcome smile.

If you really like to type (opposite to drag&drop smile), then surely you like low level stuff too, this is heavily used in mORMot core.
So enjoy learning it smile.

Last edited by Leander007 (2012-03-01 10:49:26)

#9 2012-03-01 10:48:41

array81

The encryption works.

Board footer