#1 2022-06-11 09:35:12

rdevine

mORMot and AWS for SaaS

I'm building a SaaS system that will likely use AWS Lambda with a mORMot server acting as a "mediator" server for directing client requests. The system will eventually extend beyond Lambda, probably with additional mORMot servers (it'll be microservice-based). Just curious if anyone is using mORMot in conjunction with any AWS services and what your experiences are. Cloudflare workers are another option but the AWS ecosystem seems pretty impressive.

Thanks, Bob

#2 2022-06-12 06:32:13

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: mORMot and AWS for SaaS

I have never used AWS Lambda, nor any AWS services in conjuction of mORMot.
It is easier and safer to write a mORMot MicroService than use external services, from my point of view. But I am biased for sure. wink

Some tips that I may think about AWS:
1. When calling external services, ensure you use a pool of client connections, not to recreate a socket and authenticate each time.
2. Follow the DDD principle of consuming external services: use interfaces to define the needed calls, then implement it in a class. It will help switching to something else in the future (and an interface will be the native way to talk to a mORMot MicroService anyway). It will also help testing your code (you don't need AWS in your regression tests).

#3 2022-06-12 09:20:07

rdevine

Thanks Arnaud - yes those two points are part of my design. I'm looking at possibly using AWS for functions such as Federated Identity Management and load balancing. E.g. AWS Incognito handles logins via Google, Facebook etc. (I'll have a free tier and many users could be non-corporate). I have a vague memory you run a cloud service on mORMot - I take it your authentication is done through your own microservice since you'll have a purely corporate user base?

Cheers, Bob

#4 2023-05-29 15:36:26

AlissonParker

I was just wondering how things turned out with using mORMot in conjunction with AWS services. It's such an interesting topic, and I'd love to hear about your experiences. Microservices and server mediation can definitely bring scalability to the next level! ? By the way, while I was browsing online, I came across some AWS certified  courses that might be helpful for exploring the AWS ecosystem further. You can check them out if you're interested. As a newbie on this forum, I'm here to learn and share knowledge with all of you awesome folks!

Last edited by AlissonParker (2023-05-30 12:20:50)

#5 2023-05-29 21:57:20

rdevine

I've actually gone off AWS - primarily because of cost. Initial costs might look reasonable but bandwidth costs can be a killer, especially for a SaaS startup. I'm hoping to get mORMot integrated with one of the serverless providers in a few months - will report back! The one certainty though is that mORMot was definitely the right choice - a joy to use.

Cheers, Bob

#6 2023-08-02 08:28:28

Riven31

rdevine wrote:

I'm building a SaaS system that will likely use AWS Lambda with a mORMot server acting as a "mediator" server for directing client requests. The system will eventually extend beyond Lambda, probably with additional mORMot servers (it'll be microservice-based). Just curious if anyone is using mORMot in conjunction with any AWS services and what your experiences are. Cloudflare workers are another option but the AWS ecosystem seems pretty impressive.

Thanks, Bob

That sounds like an interesting approach for building your SaaS system! Combining AWS Lambda with mORMot as a mediator server for directing client requests is a smart move, and the microservice-based architecture will likely provide scalability and flexibility. As for using mORMot in conjunction with AWS services, I haven't personally used it, but the AWS ecosystem indeed offers a wide range of impressive tools that can complement your development. Considering the cost of SaaS development, using serverless technologies like AWS Lambda can be cost-efficient due to its pay-as-you-go model, which allows you to scale resources based on demand, optimizing expenses as your SaaS grows.

#7 2024-04-08 18:48:13

Julia34

Yes, mORMot can be effectively used with AWS Lambda for serverless architecture. While experiences may vary, integrating mORMot with AWS services provides scalability and flexibility, especially for microservices-based systems.

Board footer