#1 2023-08-09 15:42:42

dcoun

Angelize, installed before adding first service

Trying to use the Angelize, I noticed that a default settings file is created when it runs for the first time.
When adding the first child service, the Servicename of angelize is changed to the name of the first child service.
That causes trouble if it is already installed with an other name, by modifying the main angelize settings file: you can not uninstall it, as the angelize service name has been changed.
Probably this change in the angelize servicename should not happen if the main angelize sevice is already installed as a service

Also I did not understand how to deal with the following case:
I have a child windows service executable that I want to be monitored/controlled by agl.exe.
I am adding it with agl's /new parameter and after that I install it as windows service by calling agl.exe with /install parameter?
With the above, the agl is installed as a windows service with the service name of the child service and the child windows service is not installed and can not be run.

How do you propose to deal with?
Thank you in advance

#2 2023-08-09 16:16:38

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: Angelize, installed before adding first service

If you really want Angelize to monitor the sub-service(s), then the easiest is to run them not as Windows service(s), but as console applications.
Just like https://nssm.cc

To be fair, agl was not meant to manage Windows Services, it was meant to run services/daemons in a cross-platform way, with simple monitoring and auto-restart on failure.
You can run sub-daemons as services on Windows, but it is IMHO not the best way.

#3 2023-08-09 16:20:08

dcoun

Ok, that makes it clear.
So in windows when using the TsynServer (for a client service) we should provide as parameter the -c, but in linux, which is better, -f or -c, for agelize?
Thank you a lot @ab

PS by the way, I noticed that all parameters described as '/parameter' in /new of angelize, it runs them as '\parameter'

Last edited by dcoun (2023-08-09 16:22:29)

#4 2023-08-10 06:27:46

ab
Administrator
Website

The -f is to be used internally only, when forkiing an executable on POSIX systems, to run as a daemon in the background.

So the easiest is to use -c on every system: it is Angelize which will send the ^C to stop the sub-service.

Board footer