#1 2015-03-17 11:26:00

TPrami

Firebird API project

https://github.com/asfernandes/fbstuff

Hope that project pays of, I would like to use FireBird with mORMot, and even if the native low level support would be FB3+ it would be OK foe me. (I would not like to use any additional layers like Zeos) IF I recall the FireBird native low level driver was never finished fro mORMot

-Tee-

#2 2015-03-17 16:17:58

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: Firebird API project

Yes, any help is welcome to debug and finish the SynDBFirebird.pas unit.
See http://synopse.info/fossil/finfo?name=SynDBFirebird.pas
This unit is not finished.

But I'm not convinced that we may get higher speed than with the latest Zeos version, which has been very optimized, especially to work with mORMot!

On our side, we do not use FireBird, and found it to be slower than alternatives (even in embedded mode), when we tested the FB2.5 branch.

#3 2015-03-18 05:50:45

TPrami

OK,

I've am just familiar with FireBird and been using it, I like it in a way. I know it is not the fastest out there, but it is very simple to install and start using. FB3.x should be faster, but how much, time will tell. I see FireBird important also because of lot of Delphi code base have been using FB and InterBase for long time and changing the DB server is quite big decision.

For my this particular (hobby) project I am working on any OpenSource and Free DB Server is OK.

Which OpenSource database servers are supported without external libraries?

Main reason not to use Zeos for me that I try to limit the amount of external libraries to bare minimum.

-Tee-

#4 2015-03-18 07:02:52

ab
Administrator
Website

TPrami wrote:

Which OpenSource database servers are supported without external libraries?

Any ODBC or OleDB client is supported.
So you can use FireBird via ODBC.
But performance is higher with Zeos.
See http://synopse.info/files/html/Synopse% … ml#TITL_42

IMHO the best option is SQLite3, which gives amazing performance (much faster than other DBs when used with mORMot, at least up to several GB of data), and has no administration task.
SQLite3 will do the storage, and all client/server stuff will be done by mORMot.

#5 2015-03-18 10:28:08

TPrami

Thanks for the info.

I think I go for SQLite then...

Any good DB-admin tool (free for non commercial) for SQLite? (Windows)

-Tee-

#6 2015-03-18 17:03:56

ab
Administrator
Website

We use here our SynDBExplorer tool, for requests.
What is great with it is that you can connect to a running SQlite3 database, using SynDBRemote on a running REST server.

As administrator tools, there is less need than with other DBs, since it is an administration-less engine.
But external tools need the REST server to be shutdown, to have access to the the DB file.
Only SynDBExplorer allows to connect to a live SQLite3 database, over HTTP.

Board footer