#1 2011-05-13 00:30:24

Junior/RO

Using SQLite3 Framework with Unigui Framework

Hello.

I am thinking about use togheter this two great Delphi frameworks: Unigui, the best UI for the web plus SQLite3 framework.

I have created some applications using unigui (www.unigui.com) with great success, but don't want use TDataSet anymore. How can I use SQLite3 + Unigui?

It is a viable approach?

Last edited by Junior/RO (2011-05-13 00:30:57)

#2 2011-05-13 06:21:59

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: Using SQLite3 Framework with Unigui Framework

I didn't know well uniGUI, since ExtJS licensing could be an issue for deploying an application.
And the beta license doesn't allow you to use it but for testing purposes, as far as I understood.

Since all server activity is hosted in one multi-thread process, it could make sense to use a local SQLite3 database.
You can safely use SQLite3 as database engine... but... it sounds like uniGUI is using TDataSet everywhere for its DB access.
UniGui is really a Delphi RAD for the Web, just like the VCL DB components where Delphi RAD for Windows applications...

So using an ORM won't fit with the RAD approach.
Some concepts behind our framework won't fit well with RAD...
Download the http://synopse.info/files/synproject/sampledoc.zip documentation, and take a look at the "ORM" paragraphs of the SAD document. You'll find out what are the benefits of using an ORM.

So IMHO uniGUI is a good product, but IMHO it's still a RAD product.
And in my little experiment, RAD applications are good for prototyping and for small size applications.
But I don't want to use the RAD approach any more for bigger projects.
And what can ensure that your small application won't have success, and will someday become the new facebook. wink

The RESTful approach of the framework could be used for the AJAX application in pure client mode instead of relying on the server for all event processes.
But it could need some kind of JavaScript to be written, or use a Delphi script to JavaScript converter, just like Morphic does.

But I'm quite sure you can create great applications using uniGUI for the UI part, and our framework for the Business Logic and DB. The SQLite3 framework has a true n-tier architecture. So I'm quite sure you can use it safely with uniGUI.

Board footer