#1 2010-08-18 13:05:44

yogiyang

I hate Delphi IDE's Code Editor

I have tried and used Delphi since version 2.

In all versions I have always hated the code editing part of the IDE.

The code editor seems to behave in a non-standard way. When I say non-standard way I mean that the editor's behavior is not as per what an average windows user will expect. Let me give an example to explain this:

• Start Delphi's IDE

• Open an existing project (so that you do not have to type anything in it to test steps give below)

• Open code window if not already open

• Click on a line of code

• Now select some text/code. To use keyboard for selection keep shift key pressed while pressing Left of Right arrow key

• Once something is selected press either Left Arrow Key or Right Arrow Key

• If you have made selection to the right of text cursor (insertion point) pressing Left Arrow Key will remove selection but the Text Cursor will not be at the place where selection started but instead it will be one character to the left of the point where selection ended

• In the same way if you have made selection to the left of text cursor (insertion point) pressing Right Arrow Key will remove selection but the Text Cursor will not be at the place where selection ended but instead it will be one character to the right of the point where selection ended

Try these steps in Visual Studio 2003 to 2010. The behavior of insertion point is as expected. One will find this behavior in MS Office Apps also.

There are many such annoyances in the code editor. What I have illustrated above is just one of them.

HTH

Last edited by yogiyang (2010-08-18 13:07:47)

#2 2010-08-18 14:34:38

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: I hate Delphi IDE's Code Editor

It's just a matter of habit, IMHO.
The Delphi behavior makes sense also. I never suffered this selection/arrow like a problem.

But I understand you can't find it annoying.

#3 2011-07-22 19:15:10

wpostma

Re: I hate Delphi IDE's Code Editor

YogiYang - I think you're on your own here. I like how the editor works.   Visual Studio's editor sucks in many ways. Specify a version of visual studio (version 6 through 2010) and I can point out lots of ways the editor, and the IDE sucks.    But all of them are as subjective as your opinions.   :-)

Warren

Board footer