#1 2018-01-20 20:39:11

mdbs99
Website

Why mORMot doesn't have packages?

Most Delphi/Lazarus projects have package(s). Why mORMot doesn't have?
Maybe Arnaud did not want manager a package for each Delphi version, as all developers do in most projects?

Having packages could improve the developing by just add it in the project, instead using paths.
In share projects — in a company — the library path should be the same if you're using just paths. But this could be a problem because some developers like to "install" their sources in different directories.

#2 2018-01-20 22:18:52

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: Why mORMot doesn't have packages?

There is no component to install, just plain source code.
So we were never forced to use packages - which are not working with same as with FPC (even if it now has some limited support - only under Windows IIRC).

We are modifying/fixing/enhancing the framework source code every day....
So for us, packages are not convenient.

But I understand that a package could be a good idea most Delphi developers using it.
Any input is welcome!
Even if just forking mORMot and using the latest version may not be painful, once the proper paths are set.

#3 2018-01-20 22:37:59

mdbs99
Website

ab wrote:

So for us, packages are not convenient.

Indeed, I use more FPC/Lazarus for new projects than Delphi.
I have just one employer that still works with Delphi 7 and that is the version that I use.

Anyway, I like this simplest approach. But, I would like to understand the pros and cons.

I know it could be a pain to change every package version for each Delphi version —in Lazarus we need just one — but can't you see any pros?

#4 2018-01-21 12:53:17

mdbs99
Website

ab wrote:

Any input is welcome!

I've been thinking and my conclusion is the same as you had, I believe, years ago:
Even when packages provide a improvement at developing — simplifying the dependencies paths in user projects — it's simpler do not create packages in main source. Let this "specialization" to the users (developers) in their local computer.

I've tried to make a simple lib compatible with Delphi and Lazarus and it was a pain make changes in both source packages.

However, the new Online Package Manager for Lazarus won't work without a package. Tradeoffs...

Anyway, mORMot is changing my thoughts. Thanks for that.

Board footer