#1 2018-07-02 18:50:23

mdbs99
Website

MSSQL: Which is the best driver to use?

I'm a MSSQL user among 2008 and 2016 versions.
I would like to know which is the best option to use mORMot with this DBMS.

Nowadays, I have some systems that uses mssqlconn provides by FPC packages. The problem is that this implementation uses dblib.dll (I'm not thinking in Linux at this time) and in this link you can see that the last version is about the 2008 version (check dblib's download link).

I use a lot of Stored Procedures and this version doesn't work properly in many cases (eg. using XML stuff, try-catch inside SP's, etc). So, many times I need to ask to change the SP's implementation just because driver issues...

The second issue is about the dependency of this dblib.dll. I've heard that mORMot doesn't have any dependency (for all DBMS?) which is amazing for me. I could just deploy a new executable with no dependencies.

Finally, I know that mORMot developers like ZEOS lib as well, which could be an option too.

What do you recommend for a developer like me that uses FPC (last) and Lazarus (last) to build programs that could use the lasted version of MSSQL?

Thanks.

#2 2018-07-02 20:41:33

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: MSSQL: Which is the best driver to use?

mORMot will have a dependency either to the MSSQL OleDB provider, or the MSSQL ODBC provider.
The OleDB provider gives better results.

But for full low-level access to MSSQL, you may try the latest version of Zeos/ZDBC. It had a lot of tuning since the last months for MSSQL, IIRC. Ensure you use the latest version, and ask for specific support on their forum.

#3 2018-07-02 21:22:49

mdbs99
Website

I read "Release Notes-7.2.4-stable.pdf" and they wrote that we need to move on from ntwdblib.dll to ADO or FreeTDS, which is a old tech so, that is good.

I will ask them about these changes and tuning but one more question:
The SourceForge SVN is it currently compatible with FPC 3.0.4?  I believe you can answer if you use MSSQL. I don't want to use a "non-updated-forked" branch which has some patches just for FPC... I would like to use the official one.

Thank you.

#4 2018-07-02 21:40:07

ab
Administrator
Website

They have ODBC connection IIRC.

Board footer