#1 2020-02-11 13:00:29

johnnysynop

open source project- really?

mORMot uses paid XE7 compiler for sqlite instead of free, nice.
Not really free.
https://synopse.info/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5162

#2 2020-02-11 17:31:55

mpv
Website

Re: open source project- really?

@johnnysynop - it's a trolling?

In case we use open source FreePascal and open source Linux then sqlite is compiled using open source gcc compiler - see compilation script

In case of closed source and paid Delphi and closed source and paid Windows what the problems with closed source and paid compiler for sqlite?

#3 2020-02-11 18:46:21

macfly

Use with dynamic linking is not an option?

#4 2020-02-11 20:48:25

ab
Administrator
Website

In the title and the first post of this thread, there is a confusion between open source and free.
Latest free BCC 10.3 compiler is not open source.

mORMot is a true Open Source and free project.
As with any Open Source project, JohnnySynop is very welcome to contribute enhancing support with Delphi XE4 - which is not an Open Source product - by adding the compatibility with the latest closed source - but free - BCC compiler.
... and I am not sure it would work, since the root problem is a linking bug in XE4. There may be a chance sqlite3.o compiled with LLVM may link with Delphi XE4. But unlikely, since even sqlite3.o compiled with closer BCC XE7 fails to link.

Currently, I don't use XE4 and don't have time to circumvent its bug.

#5 2020-02-11 20:58:52

johnnysynop

@mpv, /viewtopic.php?id=5162 explains it all
Why you call trolling normal asking?
Especially when ab asked for BCC so I have provided him but no response.
nothing here about XE4 but freeware BCC 102 vs commercial XE7 c++ for 32bits

Unlike to XE7 commercial c++ BCC 32 is totally free.
NVM.....

#6 2020-02-12 11:32:07

xalo

Open Source Software definition (extracted from Wikipedia):

Open-source software (OSS) is a type of computer software in which source code is released under a license in which the copyright holder grants users the rights to study, change, and distribute the software to anyone and for any purpose.[1] Open-source software may be developed in a collaborative public manner . Open-source software is a prominent example of open collaboration.[2]

IMHO you should/must to change the title of this thread to be more accurate. Thanks!.

#7 2020-02-12 20:49:35

johnnysynop

@xalo, LOL - No I should not change anything - point of that was that open source project which uses free solutions as much as possible prefer commercial compiler for sqlite where free totally is availiable, don't worry about definitions - I perfectly know them. Did you even read oryginal post? id=5162

#8 2020-02-12 21:51:00

macfly

Regardless of definitions, you should think that it is obvious that the maintainer cannot make this change now. He has already made this explicit in the comments.

I think the support given by @ab in this "open source" project is excellent. But you have to respect your time.

Again, usage with external dll is not an option for your project?

#9 2020-02-12 23:11:07

Javierus

Standard troll behavior, of course
OpenSource defines a given software, and has nothing to say about the toolchain

#10 2020-02-13 08:32:41

xalo

Yes Johnnysynop, I read the thread two times,  have you read the answers?

With all my respects to you, I think the first step to solving any conflict for all parts it's to get things clear:

• The work and support given by @ab in this project it's 'UltraExcellent'. Nothing to say. It's not an opinion. It's a fact.

• The definition provided was to get a 'common sense' what is an 'open source project'

• So sorry but I love definitions :-) (extracted from Wikipedia):

In Internet slang, a troll is a person who starts quarrels or upsets people on the Internet to distract and sow discord by posting inflammatory and digressive,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into displaying emotional responses[2] and normalizing tangential discussion,[3] whether for the troll's amusement or a specific gain.

Please, I think it's extra justified that you change the title of this thread.

Many many thanks for your comprehension and have a nice day

#11 2020-02-13 10:34:32

edwinsn

@johnnysynop,

Sure, mORMot is a 100% percent open source project with an extremely permissive (MIT) license, it's a godsend to the Delphi/Object Pascal community.

I have nothing to say but "thanks" for the work done by @ab and other contributors.

Please note that the world is not a perfect world where everything is completely as you expected. Frankly, maybe you're having some kind of issue using mORMot, but what you are asking now is like someone has given you 10K dollars **for free* and you ask for another $100 for free. If he do that, you are lucky; If he don't, you have to understand the other people - no one is responsible to serve you in all situations for free.

Or at least, if you want to be a little more kind, be a little more polite when asking for help for free.

Delphi XE4 Pro on Windows 7 64bit.
Lazarus trunk built with fpcupdelux on Windows with cross-compile for Linux 64bit.

#12 2020-02-13 15:48:09

urhen

@johnnysynop
It's an open source project and lives by contribution of other people. Why don't you make the needed changes? You want to have it and seems your the only one who needs it, so make it possible!
Or donate some money to ab, guess he might have a bit more time to look into your specific issue then. You can't expect to get everything in an instant manner in a FREE open source project!

Last edited by urhen (2020-02-13 15:48:50)

#13 2020-02-13 17:50:34

uian2000

I think @johnnysynop is just worried that we're going to take unnecessary litigation risks.

Perhaps you can submit relevant test methods, steps, and results to support your idea. If possible, submit the relevant patch to resolve the compatibility issues that @ab talked about.
It's always easy to talk, and doing some substantive work is better for the community as a whole.

Good luck.

#14 2020-02-14 04:21:06

edwinsn

uian2000 wrote:

I think @johnnysynop is just worried that we're going to take unnecessary litigation risks.

Why is that? I don't think so. If you want to compile sqlite.c with XE7 and you don't have one, then buy one. If you want to compile it with a free compiler, the way I see it you have three options:
#1 - Make changes yourself.
#2 - Pay someone else capable to make the changes.
#3 - Ask others help for free.

Obviously the OP is taking approach #3 but somehow @ab couldn't respond to him for some reason, and the OP then posted this thread which doesn't seem very friendly nor very polite, not even consist with the facts.

Last edited by edwinsn (2020-02-14 04:22:00)

Delphi XE4 Pro on Windows 7 64bit.
Lazarus trunk built with fpcupdelux on Windows with cross-compile for Linux 64bit.

#15 2020-02-14 09:57:46

johnnysynop

@Javierus
you are the troll,
I would suggest you all guys to check thread where @ab ASKING for compiler and getting response and then ... silence.
Don't worry will never ask about this again the same as will never use this project again, will find workaround without this framework.
So you can stay cool, not going to beg anyone for anything.

#16 2020-02-15 15:03:40

Vitaly
Website

It is so sad to read this thread sad
Why everybody is so aggressive? Why not try to understand or explain without saying smth like: I'm smarter, you're such and such...
Kindness is much more constructive and productive.

Board footer