#1 2021-10-11 14:13:05

edwinsn

zCloud, OSS web framework that supports auto-scaling & auto-deployment

@ab,

Although I haven't checked it, I think the auto-scaling and auto-deployment features of the following new open source project is very interesting, so thought I'd post it here:

https://github.com/PassByYou888/zCloud

Delphi XE4 Pro on Windows 7 64bit.
Lazarus trunk built with fpcupdelux on Windows with cross-compile for Linux 64bit.

#2 2021-10-11 15:54:03

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: zCloud, OSS web framework that supports auto-scaling & auto-deployment

I don't understand exactly what "auto-scaling" or "auto-deployment" means in this context. I guess this stands for a MicroService-like architecture with its own internal persistence layer.
In practice, it seems to be an in-memory key/value database engine written in Delphi (ZServer4D seems not very compatible with FPC: a lot of its source won't compile).
With a very low-level API.

A regular mORMot service with a SQLite3 database would scale much better, as far as I can tell from the source code.
With high-level SOA code to define the services via interfaces, and the power of SQL at hand for more complex queries.

#3 2021-10-11 16:10:09

wxinix

The description in Chinese is quite hard to understand.   But it seems to me that it is a micro-service architecture, with a back-end "cloud"-based server farms?  "Auto-scaling" - refers to that the server farms can transparently grow to handle increasing demands, something like that?

#4 2021-10-11 16:33:36

edwinsn

ab wrote:

With a very low-level API.

I guess that's the reason I've stopped digging into it many years ago when I came across it for the first time.

Lazarus trunk built with fpcupdelux on Windows with cross-compile for Linux 64bit.

#5 2021-10-11 16:44:56

ab
Administrator
Website

The main problem I see is that there is no regression test available, which is quit limiting for an Open Source project, if someone wants to use it on production.
Also a licensing issue because it uses several third-party libraries, and the main code is GPL. So if you use it in any product, your product would be GPL. sad

It is funny to see that it compares its MD5 performance with a very old version of SynCrypto - which does not include the latest MD5 asm.
Some of the crypto code seems unusable, for instance its AES does naive ECB... it is parallelizable for sure, but it is unsafe and should not be used. Its CBC logic is published as parallelizable, but since CBC is a chaining mode it is not possible to be parallelized... weird...

It seems that its use as a custom P2P/VPN Tunnel may be of some interest in China.
Its ZDB engine is not only in-memory, but on disk. It has a callback-driven query access.

It has some code running on Delphi Linux - which is the first time I see it in an Open Source project: great!

#6 2021-10-11 18:54:07

edwinsn

Wow, you are quick and you've just given a short review of the library!

I use mORMot and hopefully mORMot2 in the future!

#7 2021-10-11 19:07:09

ab
Administrator
Website

Looking at the source code was very interesting.
But sadly I didn't find any gem or idea which may be included in mORMot.
If anyone has any feature available in this library which may benefit from being in mORMot, please propose!

Board footer