#1 2023-03-04 14:43:39

PierceNg
Website

mORMot with Azure Cosmos DB MongoDB

Hi all,

I want to share that I have adapted the MongoDB example to work with Azure's MongoDB.

- Repo: https://github.com/PierceNg/mormot-cloud

- Blog post: https://samadhiweb.com/blog/2023.03.04. … azure.html

More to come...

Disclaimer: My blog has no monetization and I am not paid by MS or anybody to promote Azure.

#2 2023-03-05 07:41:26

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: mORMot with Azure Cosmos DB MongoDB

Very clear and interesting blog article!

I don't understand why the numbers are so low. I don't understand it is only the network latency.
With a local MongoDB instance, the test is run in a few seconds.
If you enable the logs in verbose mode, can you see something strange in the timing?

Perhaps you could add in the article that such a MongoDB instance is to be run from a VM server also hosted in the Azure Cloud - where the latency are likely to be "normal".
From a client/end-user place, using a cloud DB is not a common option, because it was not meant for this purpose.

#3 2023-03-05 13:23:41

PierceNg
Website

Re: mORMot with Azure Cosmos DB MongoDB

ab wrote:

Very clear and interesting blog article!

I don't understand why the numbers are so low. I don't understand it is only the network latency.
With a local MongoDB instance, the test is run in a few seconds.
If you enable the logs in verbose mode, can you see something strange in the timing?

Thanks. I will try with logs. I think the poor performance could be because I'm using a free "teaser" Azure account. I have a paid account as well and will be continuing my experimentation using that account later on.

ab wrote:

Perhaps you could add in the article that such a MongoDB instance is to be run from a VM server also hosted in the Azure Cloud - where the latency are likely to be "normal".
From a client/end-user place, using a cloud DB is not a common option, because it was not meant for this purpose.

More blog posts coming. :-) I will write about running mORMot in Azure in "cloud-native" style.

Board footer