#1 2010-10-27 11:21:40

plastkort

new to this one

hi!

I have never used SQLite before, today I use an MS Access (Poor man's SQL) to store some application configurations, it works for the time beign, and can allow a few extra people using the same data at the given time, even tho the data is just read or written one time. and not used before read or written to the next time.

how would sqllite work for me?, can it reside on a network drive, can I use UNC name, and can multiple users use it ?

this one does not really matter, but would be nice to know
does it support some kind of text encryption?

#2 2010-10-27 11:37:12

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: new to this one

You should use the Client/Server approach of the framework.

My advice is to never have a concurent access to a SQLite database file from a network drive. Data loss will surely happen!

So run a background server on the computer which stores the database file, then connect to it using it's computer name over the network, or its IP address.

See the demos in the Sample directory of the distribution.
You'll find there the classes to use.
Download also the documentation.

You can encrypt the database file content on the fly, so that only your server application could open it.

#3 2010-10-29 12:10:03

plastkort

true, but my plan was mostly only use them as a store for configuration... there will not be much written here, maybe only when some modification is needed, and or we create new records.. other than that.. not much at all...

mostly only read and close the db

#4 2010-10-29 12:16:10

ab
Administrator
Website

But with direct network access, you can never be sure that you're the only one accessing to the file at the same time.

So you could have issues in concurrent access.

A Client/Server approach is safer. And not difficult to implement with our framework. See the corresponding Samples in the distribution.

The only drawback is that a server program has to be run on the computer.
We provide all the need for writing easily a background service for that. There are dedicated units in the framework for easy building of Windows service.

#5 2010-11-01 10:58:12

plastkort

perhaps that is a good idea yes. we shall see :-)

Board footer