#1 2013-08-29 14:43:08

corchi72

How to work with the client offline?

My problem is that I have agents that are sometimes offline and they would like to work as if they were connected, then when they come back online they would like to synchronize data with the server.

To use a client offline am I forced to create a local database copy with all the tables and respective relationship tables (TSQLRecordMany) from server and then synchronize all data manually, or is there a function to execute this automatically?

thanks
corchi

Last edited by corchi72 (2013-08-29 15:16:33)

#2 2013-08-29 15:14:03

ab
Administrator
Website

Re: How to work with the client offline?

You have to do all the synchronizing by hand, in the current status.

There is no auto-synch from an offline database yet.

What you can do is a local copy of the DB, and use it read-only in case of offline.
It will be easier to handle than a whole synchronization process, which may be quite difficult (e.g. if two records did change during the same time).

#3 2013-08-29 15:28:39

corchi72

From our viewpoint it is not feasible to give a read-only copy of the database, the agents will be reading, modifying and adding orders.

As an example:
the agent needs to edit or insert some new customer info, review the price lists and when it is possible to connect again with the server we expect that the local records will merge or update with the server database.

I think the bigger problem I face are the relationship tables because I have new or different IDs from the server in the local database.
We were thinking of exporting the records from the server and saving in local client with the server ID and then to synchronize the records from client to server we could use this local-ID to server-ID relationship to update the server database. If we don't have a server-ID, add a new record with a new ID and save it on the client as server-ID.

Thanks
corchi

#4 2013-08-29 16:04:50

ab
Administrator
Website

Yes, in this case, a separate table with changes and additions can be a solution.

In fact, you can use several DBs, working in distributed mode, like GIT, Fossil or Mercurial.
I mean, each client has his own DB, then modifications are pushed or pulled to/from a server.

Board footer